The Fiskars StaySharp Plus Reel Mower achieves a very clean and precise cut for lawns. Like all cylinder mowers, this is the old fashioned style of mower, that is quiet and ideal for Sunday morning work, and to not disturb the neighbours.
Ease of Use
With an average price of £230, this is one of the most expensive cylinder type mowers that you can buy. It gets very good online buyer reviews, but it is quite a lot of money to spend.
- You can adjust the handlebar height which is really useful
- The blades are made of good quality steel
- It also has an ergonomically shaped handle with a foam grip for comfort
- Has a guard which you can tilt to have the grass go out the front or out the rear
- It has large rubber wheels and a good thick tread that helps with steering and allow a good grip on the lawn.
There are about 40 of these cylinder style mowers on the market. This Fiskars model is pretty new to the UK market, and does sell well enough. Not everyone will be willing to spend this amount of money on a push mower, but those that did were big fans of the Fiskar's brand.
- enda mclarnon - editor
How Does it Compare to Other Cylinder Mowers
There are a few key features to look out for when you are buying a cylinder mower. The important ones are the cutting width, the cutting depths, the blade type, the weight and the ease of storage
We have explained those below, and then explained if this Fiskar's model meets these five key features.
- This model has a 43 cm (16.9") cutting width, compared to the average cylinder mower which has an average cutting width of 30 cm. So as you can see this is a larger cutting area and will speed up the lawn mowing.
- The cutting depth is the height that you want to leave your grass at. This one has an 8 step cutting height option ranging from 4-10 cm cutting heights (1-4") This is slightly higher that the average option for a cylinder mower. The cutting height is very easy to adjust on this at each side using a lift and click lever system. Each click makes a half inch difference.
- The blade is made from good quality steel and they are sharp and well shaped for mowing. They are similar to many other cylinder mowers so no better and no worse.
Weight and Manoeuvrability
- The weight is what will cause arm fatigue. This model weighs 18 kg with the average weight for these being around 7.5 kg, so it is a lot heavier than the average cylinder mower.
Ease of Storage
- This is bulky for a hand mower and the handle doesn't fold down, so it can be hard enough to store.
In summary this model is as good as, or better in most of the features. It is not as easy to move around as we would like to see, but with practise most buyers did get used to that quite auickly. In our reviews we also like to include a summary of what buyers had to say about the mower, after they had purchased it, used it, and then taken the time to leave a review.
Pros & Cons
Our Verdict on the Fiskars StaySharp Plus Reel Mower
The main thing we don't like about this model is the price point. If you can afford that, then this model is certainly well made and built to last.
Almost every buyer said this was actually a joy to use as you could take it out of the shed and just get on with mowing the lawn quietly and efficiently.
Quite a few buyers said there was more assembly with this than they had expected. You do have to put the handles and wheels on, which you get done by using the supplied spanner.
Just be aware that this doesn't come with a grass box.
If you decide this is not the cylinder mower for you, then check out our list of cylinder mowers.
This model came out at number 2 on that list, so it's up there with the best of them. As we have mentioned, the only real turn off is the higher price point.