The Gardena Comfort Cylinder Mower is one of the best selling hand push mowers in the UK, with many online buyers.
Ease of Use
With an average price of £60-180, this is not a cheap option, but the buyer reviews are very good, and most of them say it is worth the money.
- It uses a touchless cutting technology that makes the cylinder mower especially quiet and easy to push
- The blade cylinder is non-stick-coated, preventing inconvenient drying on of wet grass
- This mower is equipped with an additional deflector for controlled grass ejection
- It also has an ergonomically shaped handle
- The cutting height is adjustable in 4 steps from 12-42 mm
- It has larger wheels than most and the tread on those helps with steering and allow a good grip on the lawn.
There are about 40 of these cylinder style mowers on the market. This Gardena model has been out for a long time, and does sell consistently. Not everyone will be willing to spend this amount of money on a push mower, but those that did were not disappointed.
- enda mclarnon - editor
How Does it Compare to Other Cylinder Mowers
There are a few key features to look out for when you are buying a cylinder mower. The important ones are the cutting width, the cutting depths, the blade type, the weight and the ease of storage
We have explained those below, and then explained if this Comfort 400C model meets these five key features.
- This model has a 40 cm (15.7") cutting width, compared to the average sylinder mower which has an average cutting width of 30 cm. So as you can see this is a larger cutting area and will speed up the lawn mowing.
- The cutting depth is the height that you want to leave your grass at. This one has a 4 step cutting height option ranging from 12 to 42 MM (0.5" to 1.6") This is around the average option for a cylinder mower. The cutting height is very easy to adjust on this at each side using a lever.
- The blade and the cylinder are made from hardened, quality steel and the cylinder also has a non-stick coating, that helps prevent grass from sticking to it. The bottom blade has also been ground and that guarantees a clean and precise cut for high quality lawn care. The blade and cylinder work in the way that scissors operate and give a nice clean cut.
Weight and Manoeuvrability
- The weight is what will cause arm fatigue. This model weighs 9.4 kg with the average weight for these being around 7.5 kg, so it is slightly heavier than the average cylinder mower.
Ease of Storage
- There is a foldling handle with a quick lock feature that allows you to simply and quickly fold up the mower. Most models of cylinder mower have some type of folding handle, and this one is easy to operate.
So as you can see, this Gardena 400C model is as good as, or better in every feature than an average cylinder mower. In our reviews we also like to include a summary of what buyers had to say about the mower, after they had purchased it, used it, and then taken the time to leave a review.
Gardena Comfort Cylinder Mower 400 Pros & Cons
Our Verdict on the Gardena Comfort Cylinder Mower 400
The only thing we don't like about this model is the price point. If you can afford that, then this model will not disappoint you.
Almost every buyer said this was actually a joy to use as you could take it out of the shed and just get on with mowing the lawn quietly and efficiently.
If you do decide to buy this model, then when it arrives the only assembly required is to put the handles on, which takes about 5-10 minutes.
Many buyers do eventually buy the grass catcher that is sold as a separate item, as they don't mind some mulching, but they don't want it on every cut.
If you decide this is not the cylinder mower for you, then check out our top 10 list of cylinder mowers by clicking here.
This model did top that list, so it's up there with the best of them. As we have mentioned, the only turn off is the higher price point.