McCulloch MWT420 Wheeled Trimmer UK Review
If you want to be the proud owner of the best wheeled trimmer, currently available in the UK market, then the McCulloch MWT420, is certainly the one for you. This is the choice of the professionals, and as you can see from the images, this one certainly looks the part.
It comes complete with a Briggs & Stratton 675 cc engine, that knocks out a full 190 cc. Those who have bought it, love it and they have all rated this as a 5 star product.
This is also a great choice for anyone with a large garden. It works well on slopes as well. Just be aware that this is a solid machine, and needs some effort to push it around. That said it will take out just about anything that gets in its way. It also works really well on scrub, though you will need to change the 3.5 mm cable that is provided, to a heavier duty one.
If you have large patches of land to clear quickly, then this is a good choice. A few buyers mentioned larger gardens, and a few mentioned larger allotments and even orchards. Buyers also used this one to quickly clear rough ground.
It is also worth noting that the wheels are not driven by the engine. Many people buy these believing that, the wheels are turned by the engine, through some form of crankshaft. That is not the case with most petrol wheeled strimmers. The wheels are stand alone, and quite large, and the only way they move, is when you push the handlebars, and move it manually.
This McCullock weighs around 32 Kg, so it does take a fair amount of pushing. Buyers say it is worth the effort, especially if you have a larger garden
All our product recommendations are based on our independent research which we conduct online by reading the many reviews we find at online websites. This review contains affiliate links and we may receive a commission for purchases made.
You can read our affiliates page to find out more and also read about how we write our reviews
Key Specification Details
- It operates off a 675 series engine from Briggs & Stratton
- The wheels are 14" in diameter which allow you to cover the ground quickly
- The handlebars fold away, and that makes it very easy to store in a shed or garage
- It uses a quad line head, and has a cutting swathe of an amazing 20" (About 50 cm)
- Has a grass attachment and a shrub attachment
- Option to purchase a telescopic handle for those with back issues or problems
- The head itself uses strimming cable which you can buy in different gauges
What Buyers Liked
- The perfect strimmer for larger gardens
- Works really well on hard terrains like rocks, gravel, and also works really well on most slopes
- It is very manoeuvrable
- Cuts a lot of grass or weeds in a very short space of time
- Will rip through even the toughest of weeds like bramble, nettles, dandelions, daisies etc
What Buyers Didn't Like
- A solid and heavy machine that requires a bit of effort to push around
- On wet grass pushing becomes harder
- Replacement trimmer cord is expensive
- Not recommended to use on slopes larger than 15 degrees
Average Buyer Rating
This purchase is not cheap at around £420 for this wheeled trimmer. Buyers love it though and that is why it gets a 98% satisfaction rating.
This model will just about get through anything that gets in its way from long grass, to weeds to scrub. Great for clearing rough ground and large gardens .
Strimmer line is available for this and uses Flymo 532-18-22-19 part number. You can search this online and find the best value for money.
If this is not the one for you, then check out our top rated wheeled strimmers here.